Thursday, May 1, 2008

Review: Easy Rider (1969)

I'm currently doing a course about New Hollywood, the period in film history that started in 1967 when the studios relinquished creative control over to the directors. This period arguably ended about eight years later though Wikipedia puts the time of death in 1982 with Francis Ford Coppola's One From The Heart (which I need to see - I missed the screening on Tuesday). When I saw this on the video store shelf - I had to get it out on $1 day.

Easy Rider, always mentioned after the likes of Bonnie & Clyde and The Graduate is one of the earliest films of New Hollywood and you can definitely see the aesthetic of the period shining through here. I feel that the freedom that the directors had is nicely encapsulated by the words of the characters.

However, I didn't really feel anything for this film. It was good, a very enjoyable 94 minutes of my life. Ultimately, 7.5/10

(As a sidenote: reading the Wikipedia section on the production section of Easy Rider makes director Dennis Hopper sound very intense. Not someone to mess with...)

No comments: